Today I finally had the chance to get out and shoot a little bit, so I decided to fire the old Mosin Nagant M38 and get it sighted back in after having done some work on it. I also shot a few rounds through my pistol, and would have shot more if it were not so cost-prohibitive. Here are a few things I would like to impart to my readers about the experience today.
- The M38 still kicks like a freakin’ mule, even with a 1” butt pad on it. I think I can still feel the results of the 32 rounds I put through it.
- I need more practice with my pistol. The first 5 rounds I shot were totally unacceptable. Wouldn’t be such a big deal if it wasn’t my carry gun.
- It still is a %$#@$% to clean a rifle after firing corrosive ammo through it.
- If you are cleaning said rifle in the bathtub (soapy water + window cleaner), finish before your wife gets home. Make sure to clean up the mess you left in the bathtub, but don’t clean the whole tub (unless that’s normal for you) because your wife will then know you were up to something.
- While looking though gun cleaning supplies, if you value you’re your life or marriage, when you find that stripper clip you were missing, do not excitedly say, “There’s my other stripper!”
- As Old_Painless would say, "Shooting stuff is still fun."